Skip to main content

USA- the Country who Discriminates Moslems?

-->
“Congratulation for your scholarship Dion, but be careful… America is the most dangerous place in this globe for Moslems. Don’t you know that USA is a country who discriminates Moslems?…”


Almost everyday I heard that sentences from my colleagues before I departed to America to pursue my study. I was happy but nervous in getting such precious chance to study in Michigan State University. Moreover, the issue widespread around my country in Indonesia was that American Embassy would be very tough to give the visa. Therefore, before the visa interview I shaved my mustache and beard in order not too be looked as a terrorist. I unfriended some Muslims organization group in my facebook, since I heard that the US government has a sophisticated technology to track every detail information of every single people here in this earth.
I was so worried of the racism issue, I was so scary about the gang issue, I was so horrified with the gun shoot at campus, I was so frighten with the hurricane, and I was so afraid with the extreme whether.  One thing that made me strong and motivated to keep my spirit “on fire” was my parent. They told me that this is the only chance if I want to make a better living in the future. My mom said, “We will never ever ever be able to pay your school fee, go and chase your dream. Now or never”.  My mom is the best advisor I have ever had.  I then decided to go to Michigan State to be a big family of Spartan.
The first day I arrived Michigan; I was welcomed by the cold wind sweeping my face. Although, it was summer, for me, however, the wind was still not friendly. I said to myself: “Okay Dion, this is nothing, you must be strong”. I remember the date I landed Michigan, August 18, 2012 at 4 in the afternoon. My first impression was that my bad feeling about Moslem discrimination would come true. I couldn’t celebrate the Ied Mubarouk prayer (like Christmas in Christianity) due to the English test. I even have not relieved from my jet leg, but I had to take the test and; the worst thing is that I couldn’t celebrate the Moslem’s biggest day.  I was so sad, terribly sad.
This is perhaps what many people called “cultural shocked”. I found my self like an alien living in another planet in my first week. The food, the whether, the bathroom, the people, the language; they are so awkward. Nonetheless, after I spent my eight days I started to feel that East Lansing is Awesome. I then started to observe whether or not the prejudice about America toward Muslims is right. I ever searched from the Internet about Islamic center near MSU, and then I decided to do my prayer there. “Oh my goodness, this Islamic center is very huge”. How come the country called USA has a big mosque in a small city in East Lansing? I used to think that the Islamic Center was not that big, but my presupposition was totally wrong.  On Friday, I did my Friday Prayer; I was so stunned knowing that the prayer is held in two shifts. The only reason is that the mosque cannot accommodate the number of Moslems who do the Friday prayer. Again, my hypothesis about discrimination in America was eroded. It is impossible if American discriminate Islam, whereas they grow this big.
I never experienced the racism here in MSU since I arrived Michigan. I was never be bullied, I was never be mocked and I was never be underestimated by American. They even smile at me, as if they have known me before. In Indonesia, folks rarely smile at you if they do not recognize you. “Thank you” is the sentence that is very expensive in my country. However, here in MSU “thank you” is very cheap. Everyone appreciate of what you have done even the small one. One more sentence that barely be heard in my country is “have a nice day”. If you want to find yourself awkward just practice telling this sentences in Indonesia to everyone you meet, then they will lough at you.
I find MSU is the best place to study. It has everything I need. I used to think that Islamic Center is the only place that I can use for praying. But it is wrong. MSU even has a large space for Muslims to do their prayer in the campus. I have just realized about it two weeks ago, when my friend from Indonesia had me join him to pray. I asked him, are you kidding me, we have just arrived here, do we need to go back to Islamic Center to pray? Then he said, “Hang on… are you aware that Spartan has a big room for us to pray named “Meditation Room” in Anthony Hall? Then I answered: “Really? Oh my God, I never realized it before”. Once again, I thank to God that I am very blessed to study in Michigan State University.
What I want to do right now is that I just want to scream to my friends in Indonesia: “hey… Folks in America are very open-minded”. “Man… they don’t even bully me and other Moslems.” “They respect us as they respect their parents”. “Please delete your bad prejudice from your processor in your brain, that America is the worst place to live for Moslems.” “Let’s create a better living in this planet by sharing love and care.” “MSU is the best place to study, they don’t discriminate me.” I hope my friends from Indonesia who have a bad prejudice toward America can hear me.
I am proud to be Spartan. When I write this article, believe it or not, I yield: “Spartannnnnnnnn….. What is your profession??? “Au…Au…Au..”




Dion Eprijum Ginanto
Graduate Student (MA)
K-12 Educational Administration
Scholar of USAID (I thank to American for giving me scholarship)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sampling

This slides provide you:  1. the definition of sampling  2. sampling frame 3. determining the size of your sample  4. sampling procedure (Probability and non-probability)  Please follow/download the link for the Power Point Slides

Jadwal UTBK 2020 & SBMPTN Terbaru: Pendaftaran Juni, Tes Bulan Juli

Ilustrasi UTBK. FOTO/Istockphoto tirto.id - Lembaga Tes Masuk Perguruan Tinggi (LTMPT) memastikan Ujian Tulis Berbasis Komputer (UTBK) 2020 tetap akan dilaksanakan meski jadwalnya diubah karena dampak pandemi corona (Covid-19).  Hal ini diketahui dari penerbitan surat edaran resmi LTMPT Nomor 11/SE.LTMPT/2020 yang terbita pada Senin, 6 April 2020.  Melalui surat edaran resmi tersebut, Ketua Tim Pelaksana LTMPT Mohammad Nasih mengumumkan jadwal pelaksanaan UTBK 2020 resmi berubah. Jadwal pendaftaran UTBK dan Seleksi Bersama Masuk Perguruan Tinggi Negeri (SBMPTN) 2020 juga berubah. Demikian pula jadwal pengumuman SBMPTN 2020.  Adapun jadwal UTBK dan SBMPTN 2020 yang terbaru adalah sebagai berikut: 1. Pendaftaran UTBK dan SBMPTN dilaksanakan pada tanggal 2-20 Juni 2020 2. Pelaksanaan UTBK 2020 berlangsung pada 5-12 Juli 2020 3. Pengumuman SBMPTN 2020 dilaksanakan pada 25 Juli 2020.   Menurut Nasih, pendaftaran UTBK dan SBMPTN 2020 dilakukan secara bersamaan

Cerita Horor: Sumur Tua SMANDALAS (5)

Cerita Sebelumnya  Sumur Tua SMANDALAS (1)   Sumur Tua SMANDALAS (2) Sumur Tua SMANDALAS (3) Sumur Tua SMANDALAS (4) Matahari seakan enggan terbit di atas langit SMANDELAS. Awan seolah terlihat muram. Suara burung yang biasa berkicau di pepohonan depan kelas, kini seolah menghilang. Hening, hanya rekaman bel pertanda pergantian jam pelajaran yang selalu memecah kesunyian. Lima hari berlalu. Jamal belum diketemukan. Polisi belum juga mendapatkan klue. Sekolah telah berusaha mencari keberadaan Jamal, siang dan malam. Seluruh warga sekolah digerakkan. Tapi belum juga membuahkan hasil yang signifikan. Diko, Rudi, Riko, dan Juno seolah tak lagi mendapat kepercayaan. Setelah kejadian pencarian Jamal di sumur, mereka berempat tak pernah lagi diajak bertukar fikiran untuk mencari keberadaan Jamal. Terkahir kalinya, mereka dimintai keterangan oleh pihak Polres Batanghari. Setelah itu, mereka ditinggalkan.   Namun, Diko malah termotivasi untuk membuktikan bahwa ada